No! Not Another Quilt to Make!

I believe I have fallen down the rabbit hole of quilts I want to make.  I discovered through a wonderful Facebook quilting page for hand quilters and piecers that I'm a member of, this absolutely AMAZING and FREE BoM called Love Entwined.  

Representation of the completed quilt
Centre panel 
The quilt artist who designed this stunning quilt is Esther Alieu (http://estheraliu.blogspot.com.au/2013/06/introducing-love-entwined-1790-marriage.html) and she created this appliqué work based on the 1700 original coverlet.  I'm in awe.  Not only of the stunning quilt that this will make but that it is being offered as a free BoM through her Yahoo Group (the free aspect is restricted to monthly postings.  Meaning as a member of her Yahoo Group you may download the free PDF for one month only.  How this works is when she posts instructions for the next month, the previous month is removed.  Fear not however if you missed a month!  You can purchase any month you may have missed through her website).  
Original coverlet circa 1700
I'm feeling drawn to this project even though I have SO many others that are in various stages of completion.  I would absolutely KICK myself if I let this project pass me by.  

Actually this may be the perfect time for me to start such an intense yet contemplative quilt.  I've busied myself over the last year with extraneous quilt issues and in the process have not paid a great deal of attention to completing a quilt.  I've finished a few tops and they have been satisfying, but they haven't been contemplating.  How do I explain the difference?  The tops I have finished are modern in style.  I truly love them but they were created using machines and quick piecing techniques.  When I make a quilt that I feel is contemplative (defined as:  the act of thoughtful observation; full or deep consideration; reflection)  my construction technique is always through hand piecing.  Piecing by hand for me adds a level of intimacy with fabric I can't achieve by using a machine.  When working with textiles by hand I 'live' with the fabric in a whole other way that, for me, forms an emotional attachment to the project I've never archived when I've created a machine worked quilt.  And also my brain connects differently to a contemplative quilt reflecting a more traditional aesthetic than with a modern one.  Modern quilts are fresh and crisp and fabric print focused.  I find a more traditionally concentrated quilts to lend themselves to a visual feast as a whole with the fabrics used adding to the overall look instead of taking centre stage.  

So, of course I've signed up through the Yahoo Group (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/estheraliubom/).  How can I not?



Comments

  1. A most interesting BOM.

    Interesting concept, contemplative quilt. I like the idea. But for me it would not require hand work. Maybe because I do not do quick methods ven though I machine piece. Or maybe it is geography. My "studio" = my whole apartment. When I am designing a quilt and it is on my design wall, it is right in sight of the chair where I read and do computer work (and play). Every time I look up I see it. And think about it. And modify it.

    I'd posit that it is time spent with a quilt more than hand piecing than makes it contemplative.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good point Knitnknit - I'm certain contemplative quilting is different from person to person. I can see how you would get the same attachment to your projects using your method even though its different to mine.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm still torn on making it. One hand it's extremely busy, almost to the point of distraction giving you a huge headache, and then all the work that would go into it. My hubby hates it so much he told me a big fat "NO", but there is something amazing about that much work that makes you want to do it.

    I'm not big on handwork and machine applique would probably make the quilt look more cluttered and fabric is another. Esther is amazing with color especially with quilts like this.

    I've printed everything out just in case I change my mind and find the perfect fabric collection. Good luck if you decide to make it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear what you're saying Bethenny - it does look like a LOT of work. And as I'm a newby when it comes to applique I think I'm a little nuts to take it on. But it's soooo beautiful. I'm just going to jump in and see what happens. No matter what I'm going to collect all the instructions just like you because I don't want to pass the opportunity up. If you decide to do it send me the link to your blog.

      Delete
  4. I love your thoughts on making quilts by hand and totally agree with them. All my quilts are made this way and I have almost completed a marathon one - if you Google "Cottage Orne Quilt" it will lead you to my blog about it!

    I could never do a BOM because I don't like reproducing but doing my own thing which sometimes involves designing something based on a quilt I like. Why not do something taking some of the elements of Love Entwined but not making it so intense?

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're right Mary about BoMs. I don't like making replication quilts either. I love the way they look but they're a duplicate of someone elses vision. As I progress with LE I'm coming to the realization that it may not be the project for me as one, it's REALLY applique intense and too challenging for my skill level (I thrive on challenge but this is wearing me out a bit...) and two, my LE will be my interperation of many LE's and do I want that? I don't know. I'm fence sitting at the moment with this question. I like your idea of taking parts of LE and making something of my own from it.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts