One Finished Project and a Few in the Works

Since I haven't posted in weeks and weeks (work has been way too busy...) I thought before the few people who follow my blog get truly bored and walk away, it might be a good time to post pictures of a completed project and a few that are tops only right now.

First, this is my 1923 Stars quilt.





It got it's name because all the star blocks were either hand pieced or machine pieced on my 1923 Singer hand-crank vintage sewing machine.







Its a scrappy kind of quilt though the fabric was purpose purchased for this project.




They are all constructed with variegated colored fabric so it has a sort of solid but not solid look. This is a large quilt made for my then king sized bed. The star blocked are hand quilted and the rest machine quilted.




I wanted the back of the quilt to stay white even though I used variegated colored thread. This was a challenge and meant playing a lot with the tension. It worked out well in most places. Only the truly dark thread makes an appearance in places but overall I think it worked.




The 'feathers' were all machine quilted on-the-fly, meaning no marking. I wanted them to have an organic feel so I liberally repeated in areas I felt needed more fill.

The next quilt is my first attempt at a Civil War reproduction style quilt. I call it Yankee Times because one I'm from NY and two now that I live in Australia Americans are called 'Yankees' here. It seemed a fitting name.






Its made mostly with reproduction fabrics though some are just discount fabrics I found here and there that fit the look of the era. It's a simple 9 patch with blocks set on the diagonal, though you can't really see that here.




I had a bugger of a time with the directional fabric ensuring I pieced it correctly and that it ran in the right direction. The lovely muted floral fabric I've had forever and only had enough to finish this project. When I purchased it, it was a very out of the ordinary purchase for me because I'm a bright and moderns sort of woman. I guess my sub-conscience must have known this quilt was in my future. Right now it's only a top because I don't know if I want to hand or machine quilt it. Any suggestions?

And lastly, this is my Longing for Autumn maple leaf quilt. I made it because I miss the colors of fall so beautiful in New York that Australia just doesn't have.  I've always wanted to do a maple leaf and this one is in 18 inch blocks all hand pieced. It's a monster in size! And now that I have a queen sized bed instead of a king its really going to hang over the edges.





It's pinned right now though I don't know yet how I'm going to quilt it. The back is made up of left over fabric I used for the leaves and plain off white.





OK, that's it for this post! I hope you enjoyed the picture show.

Comments

  1. You have been busy! What a nice variety of quilt styles. Your machine quilted feathers are very pretty and flowing - like a real feather. Lucky 9-patch - i pay no attention to stripe direction on a repro! Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, I love your star quilt! I was amazed even before I read that you pieced it on the hand crank. That adds an extra layer of specialness to it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Michelle - I really LOVE using the hand crank. Once you get into the rhythm and cadence of using it, its truly relaxing to get away from the electrical hum of modern sewing machines. I'm definitely going to use her again on another project.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Dawn,

    I love that you are casual about your strip direction - I wish I could be. I must have unpicked at least 3 times in this quilt ensuring I kept the lines right. ADD I suppose! LOL

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts