Loving the Technology

I love modern technology.  Which is kinda funny when you consider how much I thoroughly enjoy my low-tech quilting life.  Perhaps I need the balance of slow and steady against fast and convenient.  Either way I wouldn’t want to give up either ends of the spectrum and that leads me to my post.

Lately I’ve been having a great time downloading ebooks on quilting.  I’ve known about ebooks for a long time but never investigated its benefits - until now.  I discovered the wonders of electronic books when during one of my mindless net reading sessions came across a quilting book that peaked my interest called ‘Block Party – The Modern Quilting Bee’.  When I clicked the link to the publisher’s page I discovered it could be downloaded as an ebook.  Wow – how cool.  I could get the book immediately - no waiting days or even weeks for a delivery from Amazon (I always use Amazon because I’m located in Perth, Western Australia.  What few bookshops we actually have in this city does not appear, from my perspective, to cater to a quilters needs).  So, into my handbag I dove for my trusty credit card.  A few keystrokes later and I had a copy of the book available to me to read right away on my computer (the publishers use Adobe Editions to deliver the ebook to you and it allows you one print of the publication – which is good for reading in bed later).  I was so pleased with the outcome of this first ebook I’ve since purchased three more (Color and Composition, Making History and Civil War Women).  I’m in ebook Heaven at the moment with more reading and browsing then I can handle for the next month. 





Have to run now.  I have a lot of books to read.

Comments

  1. Have you tried the Book Depository in the UK. 10 Days tops for delivery (I know that doesn't beat straight away, but if you like hard copy..) They also have a number of E Books too. Also a company called Martingales - sometimes you can get out of print books there. Like you I love the techno and the quiet.
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sue. I have tried it but find most of the time they don't have what I want in stock. I must have weird taste in quilting books or something.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts